John S. Carton, Ph.D.
Thank you for your interest in my practice. At this time I am not accepting new clients. I am in the process of relocating my practice and recommend that you contact a different provider. If you are a returning client, please call me to discuss your current needs.
My specialization is in evidence-based assessments and cognitive and behavioral therapies (CBT) for children, adults, and couples. I have over 25 years experience and my expertise includes traditional cognitive and behavioral therapies, as well as newer versions of those approaches, such as Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) and Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT). In addition, I have significant training in behavioral medicine and more broadly in health psychology. I currently am in private practice, although I previously worked in hospitals and forensic facilities. I also have an academic appointment at a local university, where I teach courses on assessment, mental illness, behavior therapy, and a variety of other topics within my expertise.
Overview of Services Provided:
- CBT/ACT for Panic Disorder, Phobias, and GAD (including in-vivo sessions)
- CBT/ACT/Behavioral Activation for Mood Disorders, such as Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Adjustment Disorders, and chronic pain disorders
- DBT for personality disorders and other conditions
- Exposure with Response Prevention for OCD (including in-vivo sessions)
- Behavioral Therapies for Childhood Behavior Problems (including encopresis, enuresis, school refusal, and noncompliance)
- Comprehensive Behavioral Treatment/Habit Reversal/ACT for Trichotillomania (hair pulling) and related picking conditions
- CBT and Family Systems Therapies for Couples and Families, specializing in Jacobson's and Gottman's CBT approaches
- Comprehensive Social Skills Assessments and Treatments for children and teenagers on the Autism Spectrum
- Consultation regarding Educational Issues, including academic performance issues and college application and selection
- Forensic Clinical Psychology Services, such as competency and insanity evaluations
- Assessments for a variety of mental health and physical health conditions
- Parent coaching and education on a variety of mental health issues
- My doctoral and postdoctoral training, plus two decades of teaching and conducting research at the university level, means that my clients receive services that are from someone who went well beyond the minimal masters level of training received by social workers (MSW's) and licensed professional counselors (LPC's). My clients value the difference in quality and comprehensiveness that comes from seeing a clinical psychologist with an academic appointment who is widely cited in the research literature and who only practices within his area of expertise.